I am determined to make you watch Downton Abbey with me this summer. It's amazeballs, wonderful, and you'll love it. Here's why you (and anyone else) should give it a chance. (slight SPOILERS)
1. The Upstairs-Downstairs Dynamic
- I love watching the staff interact with the Crawleys. Lady Mary and her maid Anna are practically besties, and Bates and Lord Grantham are pretty tight too. While these relationships are most likely extremely unrealistic, they make for damn good television.
2. The Downstairs People
- While it is so interesting to follow the exploits of the Upstairs Crawley family, I am more partial to the Downstairs servants. Don't get me wrong, I love me some aristocrats, but the Downton staff are all so endearing. Don't even get me started on my obsession with Bates, just don't. #hesadorable:
3. The Will-They-Won't-They(s)
- Yes, Sister, there are multiple. AND THEY'RE SO GOOD!
- We have the Upstairs versions:
Matthew and Lady Mary
and Edith and Sir Anthony
- And we have the downstairs versions:
Anna and Bates- GAH. Mine (and everyone else's) favorite. They are so adorable. SISTER YOU WOULD LOVE THEM!
And the awkwardly adorable Daisy and William. (kind of).
4. The costumes, the setting, the time period, and everything else of the sort. Seriously, this show will make you want to go back and live in England during the 1910s. At the very least, it will make you and your roommates talk in British accents (and yell things at the TV when the show doesn't go your way- seriously, this happened.)
Morale of the story: If you are watching this show, you understand my obsession. If you aren't watching this show, you need to. Like right now. Drop everything you are doing and play episode 1. Word on the street is its getting taken off Netflix July 1st. SO HURRY! Run to Downton; you won't regret it.